Medical Error, Allergic Reaction – Sample Case
Akron & Canton, Ohio
A hospital and radiologist were sued for giving a woman contract dye during a CT scan even though the woman had previously had an allergic reaction to the dye.
42-year-old woman goes to the emergency department for abdominal pain. An IVP test with contrast dye is performed to check her kidney. After having the test, she develops hives and has some itching, nausea and vomiting. She is determined at that time to have had an allergic reaction to the contrast dye and was given Benadryl to stop the allergic reaction.
Three months later, she returned to the hospital to have a CT scan of her abdomen with contrast dye. Within moments of being given the contrast dye, she became unable to breath and her heart stopped. A code blue was called however it took approximately 20 minutes to get her heart restarted. She currently lives in a nursing home, is unable to communicate or do anything independently.
A lawsuit was brought against the hospital and the radiologist. Facts came out that the hospital staff was supposed to put an allergy sticker on her chart when she had the first allergic reaction to the dye. Had the allergy sticker been placed, she would not have been given the dye a second time.
The case settled prior to trial for an undisclosed multimillion-dollar amount.
If you or a loved one has suffered an allergic reaction due to medical error, you may have a claim. Be sure to consult a medical malpractice attorney immediately to investigate the matter, as there are strict time limitations for pursuing these types of cases.
Medical malpractice attorney Angela Vagotis serves clients in Akron & Canton, Ohio. For help with your claim, contact Angela Vagotis at 330-456-4122 or fill out this form.